How to Get Compensated for Damages

Rachel N. Woloshin

Author: Rachel N. Woloshin

POST DATE: 6.26.20
Ccha  Personal Injury

You’ve seen the tv commercials -- “you’ve been in a car accident, now what?” -- but do you know what to do to get compensation for damages in the event you actually find yourself in a car accident? CCHA can help.

Personal injury cases occur when a person’s body, mind, or emotions are injured as a result of someone else’s negligent or wrongful conduct. If you or a loved one are injured in an accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages from the person or entity that negligently caused your injuries. Damages can include medical bills, lost wages, physical pain, emotional suffering, mental anguish, permanent disability, scarring, and disfigurement, among other things.

Ccha Compensation for Damages car accident

How do I get compensated for my damages?

In order to be compensated for your damages, you must assert a personal injury claim against the person or entity that caused your injuries. Typically, the insurance company for the person or entity will handle your claim and pay your damages. It is common for personal injury cases to settle without ever going to court or without the necessity of filing a formal lawsuit. However, if the statute of limitations is approaching, or the at-fault party has denied your claim, is delaying your settlement, or is not fairly negotiating, then it may be necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit in a civil court. In Indiana, the statute of limitations for car accidents and most other personal injuries is two years from the date of accident or injury. A lawsuit must be filed within the statute of limitations period to preserve your claim. If you plan to consult an attorney, you should do so well in advance of the statute of limitations.

When do I get compensated for my damages?

When you will get compensated for your damages most often depends upon the nature and extent of your injuries. It is a common tactic for insurance companies to offer settlements early on. It may be tempting to accept the money right away, particularly if you are out of work and the medical bills are accruing. However, the insurance company will require you to sign a release of liability in exchange for the settlement money. Signing a release of liability releases the insurance company and the at-fault person or entity from any future liability. For example, if you settle your case and then find out a few months later that you require surgery, the insurance company and the at-fault person or entity will not be responsible for the cost of that treatment. Therefore, you do not want to settle your case until you have reached a point of maximum medical recovery and you know your future prognosis. A skilled personal injury attorney can guide you through this process and help you maximize the amount of compensation you receive for your injuries.

If a lawsuit is filed, there is still an opportunity to settle your case before trial. Once it goes to trial and the jury reaches a verdict in your favor, the amount of time to receive your money varies. In most cases, the insurance company will pay the money within thirty to sixty days, unless they appeal the decision.

How can CCHA help maximize compensation for my damages?

Maintaining or reclaiming your health is a top priority, above all else. The personal injury attorneys at CCHA are dedicated to protecting your legal rights while allowing you to focus on your recovery. We will work to lessen your burden and make your case and recovery as stress-free as possible. Our skilled team will investigate your case and collect records, documentation, and other data while you regain your health and wellbeing.

The insurance company for the at-fault person or entity typically has a team of adjusters and lawyers evaluating your case. They will try to pay as little as possible to settle your claim. An experienced personal injury attorney understands how to build and correctly value your claim so that you can maximize your compensation under Indiana’s personal injury laws. Our team has the necessary resources and experience you need to efficiently and effectively pursue compensation on your behalf.

You should have no hesitation to schedule an initial visit with an attorney nor be concerned about the costs or fees related to that consultation. CCHA charges no fee for an initial consultation on an injury matter and there is no obligation to use our services. Learn more about how CCHA handles fees here.

No matter the type of case, CCHA is here to be your advocate and so much more. Contact us — we’re here to help.